Today I took the bandages off a bonsai project I’ve been working on for the last year. I took a cutting from this little guy last year and propogated some roots by soaking it in water. After 6 months, I placed the roots over an interesting rock I found in the Crowsnest Pass. Then I wrapped roots and rock in plastic film to keep moisture in and let sit for another six months. This was a nervous job as the roots are so delicate but had to be secured very tight to keep the plant from slipping off the rock. Today I removed the wrap to reveal jungle-esque butress roots.
Above: The final product. I’m not sure if all these roots will live as some do not end up in the soil and may wither. Step 3 in this process will be transplanting this to a more pleasing looking container after the roots establish themselves in the soil more. Then the foliage needs some training. The roots seem to like the mineral content of this rock which is mostly limestone.
Based on the success of this experiment, I can see some miniature lost Mayan ruins with jungle encroachment in the future.